KUNGFU TRAINING AND MENTAL CLARITY
Most martial artists take a few months to learn a set. But in our school we often learn a set in a few hours, yet can perform it quite well! How do we achieve such a remarkable feat?
There are some good reasons, one of which is that we have mental clarity, which we develop from our kungfu training itself. Some students may wonder, “When did our instructors teach us mental clarity?” Do you know the answer?
We train mental clarity all the time. What actually is meant by “mental clarity”? It means the mind is clear. Clear of what? Clear of irrelevant thoughts.
In our school every movement is a training of energy and mind. Whatever movements you make, whether in form practice, force training or combat application, you have to be relaxed and be free of irrelevant thoughts. When you are relaxed, you generate energy flow. When your mind is free of irrelevant thoughts, you attain mental clarity.
The class performs the whole Butterfly Knives Set. This video clip shows the first sequence of the set which includes the patterns “Dragon and Tiger Appear”, “Thousand Tons to the Ground”, “Hide Flowers in the Sleeves”, “Big Boss Offers Wine”, “Fierce Tigers Descend Mountain” and “Jade Girl Combs Hair”.
This is Sequences 2 and 3. At the learning stage, the patterns are performed one at a time to attain picture-perfect form. At the practice stage here, the patterns are performed continuously in sequences without any breaks between the patterns. Note that the practitioners are not panting for breaths even when the numerous patterns are performed quickly and with force.
This is Sequences 4 and 5. In Sequence 5 the Butterfly Knives are held in a reverse yin-mood. You should be able to change from yang-mode to yin-mood, and vice versa, quickly and spontaneously. What advantages you can have between holding the Knives in the yang-mode and in the yin-mode?
This is Sequence 6 of the Butterfly Knives Set. A formidable knife technique is the reverse slash, called “thou thor tou” (Cantonese). Do you know which patterns shown in the video execute this reverse slashing technique?
Different sequences of the Butterfly Knives Set are shown in this video clip. Most martial artists take a few months to learn a set. But the practitioners have just learned the set in a few hours, yet they can now perform it quite well. It shows, amongst other things, their mental clarity, which is attained through our kungfu training. Mental clarity, of course, is very important not only in combat but in daily life.
Review of UK Summer Camp 2007 Weapon Course
- Introducing the Butterfly Knives
- Fierce Tiger and Moon-Gazing Rhinoceros
- How would you Counter a Spear Thrust?
- Counters against Chops and Sweeps of Other Weapons
- Butterfly Knives Against a Saber
- The Secret of Performing Butterfly Knives with Force and Speed but Without being Tired
- Yin-Yang Butterfly Knives and Close-Combat Applications
- Some Interesting Applications of Butterfly Knives Held in Reverse
- Combat Training with Weapons Must be Injury Free
- How do you Release your Butterfly Knives from being Locked?
- Learning to Make Flowers Systematically
- Combat Applications of Double Butterflies Flying
- Human-Character and Cross-Road are Found Here
- Kungfu Training and Mental Clarity
- Learning the Combat Applications of the Butterfly Knives against Other Weapons
- The Benefits of Combat Training with Classical Weapons
- From Slow and Systematic to Fast and Spontaneous
- First-Class Kungfu Calls for Great Skills and Techniques