THE SECRET OF PERFORMING BUTTERFLY KNIVES WITH FORCE AND SPEED BUT WITHOUT BEING TIRED
The secrets that enable masters in the past to be fast and powerful yet not tired when using weapons for an extended period of time.
There are three steps to accomplish this:
- Be able to perform the required patterns in picture-perfect forms.
- Performing the patterns smoothly without using muscular strength as if performing Taiji dance.
- Back up the movements with flowing internal force.
This is the start of Sequence 3 of the set. The patterns are “Rhinoceros Looks at Moon”, “Beauty Moves Boat with Pole” and “Happy Birds Construct Bridge” performed twice. Amongst other combat functions, this “Happy Birds Construct Bridge” pattern is effective against an opponent trying to disarm you. Do you know how it works?
Here are the finer points of the pattern, “Rhinoceros Looks at Moon”. This is a very useful pattern. Do you remember how to use this pattern in combat
If an opponent tries to grip your one hand, you can attack him with the knife held by the other hand. This is one advantage of using a piar of weapons instead of just one weapon. But if you opponent grips both your hands, what would you do? A good counter is “Happy Birds Construct Bridge” as showin in this video.
Tthe attack of “Happy Birds Construct Bridge” is not merely lifting up the knives, but slicing them across the opponent. This slicing movement is an important technique of bladed weapons.
The class perform Sequence 3 of the set. Notice the difference between “Happy Birds Construct Bridge” and “Rhinoceros Looks at the Moon”. Both are very useful patterns and they employ the slicing technique. Would you know in what combat situations is one preferred to the other?
After “Happy Birds Construct Bridge”, the two patterns “Tiger Tail Knife Technique” and “Comet Chases Moon” are performed three times, to the right, the left and the centre. While “Happy Bird” executes a slicing technique, “Comet” executes a piercing technique. “Tiger Tail Knife” is not just a block. Can you think of how it can be applied in combat?
The patterns are repeated, emphasizing the importance of waist rotation. Also take care that when you hold the other knife at your waist, you do not accidentally cut yourself.
The waist is rotated correctly in various patterns. Amongst other benefits, correct rotation of the waist facilitates explosion of internal force from your dan tian so that your strikes are powerful, and enables your movements to be fluid so that you would not be tired easily.
After “Tiger Tail Knife Technique” and “Comet Chases Moon” performed twice, are “Catch Tiger in Mountain” and “Fierce Tiger Crouches on Ground”. Many people think these two patterns are only decorative. They are very useful in combat. Can you think of their applications?
Waist rotation is important in performing various Butterfly Knives movements. Correct waist rotation enables smooth chi flow, which results in the practitioner being forceful and not tired.
Here is a secret. The various repetitions of “Fierce Tiger Descends Mountain” are performed slowly and gracefully without using muscular strength as if performing Taijji dance. This is an excellent way to ensure that you do not tense any muscles in your movements.
When the movements are smooth and without muscular tension, the performance this time is with vigorous chi flow which gives internal force to the movements. The force-training patterns at the start of the set, “Thousand Tons to Ground”, “Hiding Flowers in Sleeves” and “Big Boss Offers Wine”, generates internal force and gives momentum to the chi flow.
Review of UK Summer Camp 2007 Weapon Course
- Introducing the Butterfly Knives
- Fierce Tiger and Moon-Gazing Rhinoceros
- How would you Counter a Spear Thrust?
- Counters against Chops and Sweeps of Other Weapons
- Butterfly Knives Against a Saber
- The Secret of Performing Butterfly Knives with Force and Speed but Without being Tired
- Yin-Yang Butterfly Knives and Close-Combat Applications
- Some Interesting Applications of Butterfly Knives Held in Reverse
- Combat Training with Weapons Must be Injury Free
- How do you Release your Butterfly Knives from being Locked?
- Learning to Make Flowers Systematically
- Combat Applications of Double Butterflies Flying
- Human-Character and Cross-Road are Found Here
- Kungfu Training and Mental Clarity
- Learning the Combat Applications of the Butterfly Knives against Other Weapons
- The Benefits of Combat Training with Classical Weapons
- From Slow and Systematic to Fast and Spontaneous
- First-Class Kungfu Calls for Great Skills and Techniques