THE ANCIENT TOWN OF POSTOV VELIKY
Auter and Grandmaster Wong
Postov, popularly known to Russians as Rostov Veliky, is the oldest town of the Golden Ring
It is located on the shores of Lake Nero, about 200 km northeast of Moscow.
The most noticeable building of the town is the Kremlin, which means an old fortress. The Kremlin in Rostov Veliky is very different from the one in Moscow. There are two monasteries besides the Kremlin, and both monasteries face Lake Nero.
To the right of the Kremlin is Abraham Monastery, one of the oldest in Russia built in the 16th century. On the left is Spaso-Yakovlevsky Monastery with two churches, the Conception of St Anne and the Transfiguration of our Savior built in the 17th century.
The Kremlin walls of Rostov Veliky are made of white stone. We climber up the Kremlin and enjoyed ourselves with the heavy bells at the bell tower.
The Kremlin consists of three parts. The northern part is called Sobornaya, or Cathedral part. The central part is Mitropolichiy Dvor, or Bishop's Yard. The southern part closest to Lake Nero is Mitropolichiy Sad, or Bishop's Garden.
The central square of Rostov Veliky is occupied by the Assumption Cathedral, which dated to the 12th century. The gigantic bell-tower was built mostly in the 17th century. Its bells are among the largest and most famous in Russia -- each has its own name. The largest bell, cast in 1688 and weighs 32,000 kilograms, is named Sysoy. The sounding of the bells in a row creates flowing melody famous all over the world.
Wong Kiew Kit
12th February 2018, Sungai Petani
Rostov Veliky Kremlin, taken from http://meros.org/en/wonder/view?id=574
Travels to Russia
Courses and Classes