MULTIPLE ATTACK AND MOVING IN STANCES

Darren, Andres, Sifu Jeffrey and Andrea

Intensive Taijiquan Tai Chi Chuan

The False-Leg Stance with the hands holding the Cosmos

The following discussion is reproduced from the thread Intensive Taijiquan in Malaysia September 2008 started in the Shaolin Wahnam Discussion Forum on 14th September 2008.

Darren
Shaolin Wahnam England
26th September 2008

Hello,

Regarding Paul's question, what you've said is about right. The methods for dealing with multiple opponents are:

Another point to consider when engaged with multiple opponents, is that only a certain number can attack you at once. I can't remember exactly how many (does anybody know?), but if you can fight off that number you should have the skill to hold off a larger group.

Since some time has passed since the end of the course I still feel as though I'm going through some cleansing and I've developed a sudden urge to do some knife/dagger training which some people may think a bit strange given the content of the course. Also I enjoyed meeting the family members from further afield, Emiko, Naoko The rest of the group from Japan, Piti, Joe, Rama, Riccardo and everyone else.

I'm not going to say anymore, as my brain is still burning.

Darren

Participants moving about in stances without worrying about hand forms

Andreslondono
Shaolin Wahnam Colombia
27th September 2008
Jeffrey Segal

Dear family

Greetings from Colombia.

It's great and refreshing to read so many different and joyful experiences. It really enriches a lot the thread. Great Postings The good jokes of Sifu Piti keep me laughing every time I remember them.

As requested by Sifu Jeffrey I would like to share my practice since my arrival. Since I arrived home I have been practicing stance training mainly and moving between stances:

The method followed is the one suggested by Sifu Hubert, Sifu Robin and Sifu Jeffrey at the Blue Mountain and illustrated by Sigung Wong

I go to the stance i.e. Goat Stance with Three-Circle Stance, and while doing the stance I focus on counting 1, 2,.... 50, etc. And in each respiration I focus myself on relaxing, relaxing, relaxing aiming to feel deeply relaxed.

After a while (15 to 20 minutes), I do the same but shorter (2 to 4 minutes per stance) in Horse-Riding stance, Single-Leg, Four-Six, Bow-Arrow and False-Leg.

It has been of great joy putting the hands in front like the Three-Circle Stance in each stance as in the practice in Malaysia. I have done this with my practice group twice and I have felt and they have expressed a feeling of an extra amount of energy, something they have not felt before.

After this “steady stance training” I start moving between one stance to the other, with the hands to the sides of the chest, opening the heart, initially aiming to the stance I want to go, and after 5 minutes or so I change to an spontaneous stance movement, letting go myself with the movement.

From my own experience this has been of great joy and every time I feel more and more comfortable moving from one stance to another as I keep on practicing it and sometimes I have felt that the body starts moving by itself from stance to stance continuously.

Any comment or suggestion, observation, correction, etc is more than welcome.

Sifu Jeffrey Segal
Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Australia
29th September 2008
Jeffrey Segal

Hi Everybody

It's great to see so many people posting on this thread.

Thanks, Darren, for answering Paul's question about multiple attackers. When I think about your front hand when we were training Pushing Hands together, I can easily imagine you enjoying knife training.

Hola Andres!

Thanks for your post. Sounds like a good stance training program I'm guessing that you don't train the stances in the order that you wrote in your post (or maybe you do ). Over the years I've seen Sifu show the stances in a number of orders. Here are a couple:

Goat-Horse-Bow Arrow-False Leg-Single Leg-Unicorn-Four Six-Goat

Goat-Horse-Bow Arrow-False Leg-Unicorn-Four Six-Single Leg-Goat (this is what we did in Penang last month)

When I train all the stances in one session, I generally like to come back to Goat Riding Stance at the end and stay for a while. One reason is that I've seen Sifu do it like this many, many times. Another reason is that it feels great after all the other stances. Can anyone think of any other reasons?

I'm sure that we all spend some time after our Stances enjoying Flowing Stillness and/or Qi Flow before ending with Standing Meditation. I think it's important to remember that these are important aspects of our Stance Training.

I'd love to hear about how our lovely Japanese sisters approach their daily Stance training. One thing that really impressed me was how stable you all were! No surprise, when I think about who your Sifu is

From the Heart,

Grandmaster Wong leading the class in performing Grasping Sparrow's Tail

Andrea
Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland
30th September 2008
Andrea

To answer the question about stance training.

I have gone back to what worked well before: Horse - Bow Arrow - False Leg - Single Leg - Unicorn - Goat - Horse; and 2-3x a week only horse, and from time to time only 3-circle stance; Maybe I can add a 4/6 between Unicorn and Goat. Before I usually practice Lifting Sky/Pushing Mountains, and afterwards " the art of flexible legs" and whatever I want to focus on at the moment. Currently this is moving in stances. The idea is to go step-by-step through the materials from the course. When time permits I add a training session in the afternoon/evening where I spend time on combat sequences and sets.

As the amount of materials grows, time becomes more of an issue. Any advice and experience from those practicing both SKF and WTJQ about how practice best and what to choose (where there are alternatives between SKF and WTJQ) would be very helpful.

And a TJQ related question: What would be the best moment for practicing lifting water and cloud hands? Currently I practice them followed by Graphing Sparrows Tail, when I have time for additional training in the afternoon or evening, just before practicing sets or combat sequences. Does this make sense or should I add them in the morning so that I practice them daily? And if so where?

Has everybody had a chance to check out the DVDs Wei Foong so kindly prepared for us?

I haven't gone beyond Disk 1 yet but eventually will arrive there.

Andrea

Intensive Taijiquan Course in Malaysia 5th to 11th September 2008

1. An Amazing Course Ranging from Beginners' to Masters' Levels
  2. Non-Resistance and Moving in Stance
  3. What a Wonderful Course
  4. Five Factors for Consideration when Moving in Stances
  5. Capturing the Feeling of the Course
  6. An Undescribtable Deep Connection with All Human Beings and Life
  7. Some Highlights of the Course
  8. Multiple Attack and Moving in Stances
  9. Lifting Water for Force Training and Chi Flow
  10. It was a Life-Changing Experience